Are you excited about moving into your new home? Along with all the expectation, you are most likely feeling some anxiety over preparing to move. However, following the suggestions below can help you anticipate each step of the process and hopefully avoid any last minute hassles. Read through the list now to get a sense of what is coming, then use each section as a checklist to make sure you are ready.
8 Weeks Before Moving
- Make a file folder that will store important documents, such as estimates from moving companies and receipts. Consult your tax advisor regarding expenses that are tax deductible.
- Conduct some research on your new neighborhood. Find out where businesses like grocery stores, dry cleaners, gas stations, and restaurants are located in your new town.
- Many cities provide a packet of information to new residents through the Chamber of Commerce. Call to request one.
- Make a budget for moving expenses, including a moving company, and then begin requesting estimates.
- Decide what each room in your new house will be for.
7 Weeks Before Moving
- Get copies of all legal and financial records.
- Organize and review your medical records, make sure to request any records that you do not have copies of. Let your medical providers know that you will be moving and ask for referrals to practitioners in your new area.
- Repeat this process with your veterinarian, receiving a copy of all records and asking for referrals.
- Call your insurance company and ask them to change your address. Also make sure that they make you aware of any rate adjustments based on your new address.
- Make arrangements for school records to be transferred for your children to the district of your new home.
- Make an appointment with representatives of any clubs or organizations that have a membership fee. Inform them you will be moving and make arrangements to end the relationship or transfer your membership to your new location.
6 Weeks Before Moving
- Notify family and friends of your new address.
- Start evaluating each room to determine items you do not want to keep and pack. Plan a garage sale and select a charity that will accept unwanted items.
- Identify fragile objects and make a plan to hand carry these items or ship them under special conditions.
- Plan ahead to use up items that do not travel, like frozen foods and cleaning products.
- Consider subscribing to the newspaper in your new neighborhood to learn more about the community.
5 Weeks Before Moving
- Acquire packing supplies and begin packing items that are not used regularly.
- Complete your evaluation of your belongings and plan how you are going to dispose of unwanted items. Be sure to collect receipts when you donate to charities.
- Decide if you need to rent a storage bin and, if so, make arrangements.
4 Weeks Before Moving
- Complete the postal form for a change of address. The post office can hold your mail in your new city if your home is not ready to receive mail.
- Arrange for all of your utilities to be shut the day after you leave your house, and your new home to have them turned on the day before you arrive.
- Plan how your pets will arrive at your new home.
- Hold your garage sale during this weekend.
- Cancel your newspaper subscriptions after prepaying for the next 4 weeks.
3 Weeks Before Moving
- Return any outstanding library books and pick up all dry cleaning.
- Dispose of hazardous items.
- Have scheduled maintenance performed on your car, even if it is slightly ahead of schedule.
- Transfer your automobile registration to your new address.
2 Weeks Before Moving
- Notify credit card companies and other bill collectors that you have changed addresses.
- Transfer your bank account to the branch office in your new neighborhood or close the accounts, make sure to hang on to some cash to get you to your new location and pay for things until you are settled.
- Confirm travel arrangements for pets and family.
- Plan your menu so that you do not buy food that goes to waste. Come up with meals that need little preparation during the last weeks before the move.
- Collect any items that you will turn over the new owners of the house.
1 Weeks Before Moving
- Finalize packing and label the box that contains items you want to unpack immediately upon arriving. Pack your suitcases and valuables separately.
- Empty any gas tanks including lawn mowers, gas grills or kerosene heaters.
- Drain water hoses and waterbeds.
- Empty your refrigerator the day before you move, then unplug the unit to allow it to defrost and clean it after the condensation has melted.
- Unplug all appliances and prepare them for the move.
- Fill prescriptions that will be due in the first few weeks after you move.
- Arrange childcare for the day you are moving.
- Carry out arrangements made for children and pets. Make sure caregivers know of your moving plans and how to contact you in case of an emergency.
- Load your belongings in a pre-designated order. It is best to first load items that you need the least and make sure to put the heaviest items on the bottom.
- Do a final check in every room, including closets and cabinets, to make sure that nothing has been forgotten.
- Leave your new address with the future residents so that stray mail can be forwarded.
- Since you are likely to arrive to your new home before your belongings have, go through the house and check that your utilities have been connected and that appliance are functioning properly.
- Decide where you want your furniture to be placed so that you can give clear directions once your possessions have arrived.
- Confirm arrival time of goods and make sure you are there.
After You Move
- Store all receipts and documentation in your move file.
- Update your driver’s license with your new address and register to vote.
- Send out change of address announcements.
- Enjoy decorating and organizing your new home!
GETTING RID OF EXTRA ITEMS
I know that the idea of moving can seem daunting, but it is also the perfect opportunity to get rid of the extra items that you have accumulated. Now is the time to go through your house room by room and toss out any possessions that you do not need. This will prevent you from spending time and money packing things you will not want.
Develop criteria that will help you to weed out items that are not worth taking with you to your new home. Here are some questions to consider:
- Does it have sentimental value?
- Who gave it to you?
- Does it have monetary value?
- Does anyone use it?
- When is the last time it was used?
- Will you use it again before you would want an updated version?
- Is there room for it in our new home?
- Will you miss it if it is gone?
Take inventory of everything you decide to keep and assign replacement values for insurance purposes. Plan to sell or donate anything that does not make the cut. Make sure to properly dispose of any hazardous materials, such as cleaning products and paint.
Pack away stuff that you know you will not use for a while. Since so many things need to be done at the last minute, it is a good idea to pack as much as possible before crunch times comes. Use up items that cannot be moved, such as foods that are stored in your freezer.
Following these suggestions will keep you ahead of the game. Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
PLANNING FOR A MOVE
Now that you have sold your house and found a new home to live in, it is time to begin the transition. Moving can be a stressful time, but planning ahead will help you from becoming overwhelmed. Below are some helpful hints to ease you through the process.
First and foremost, it is essential to purchase the proper packing materials, such as bubble wrap, boxes, peanuts, paper and tape – all of which can be bought from moving or truck-rental companies. They often sell kits; for example, a dish cell for protecting china and crystal, or wardrobe boxes that allow you to keep clothes on hangers.
If you are hiring a professional moving company, it is a good idea to inquire for estimates approximately 6-8 weeks prior to moving, if possible. This is especially important if you are moving during the peak summer season between May and September. There are two types of estimates offered; a binding estimate, which guarantees the total cost of the move based on the quantities and services shown on the statement, and a non-binding estimate, which is an approximation of the cost and is subject to change. Once you have decided on a company to use, call to schedule the date of the move. As your moving date approaches, call to confirm the arrangement with the company.
It is important to plan ahead and start packing early. Choose a “packing room” where you can store packed boxes and packing materials. Begin packing items that you won’t need a few weeks before the move and box up a few items each day. Because many things cannot be done until the last minute, it is essential to do as much as possible before that time.
Pack one room at a time and be sure to label each box with its destination as well as a description of its contents. This will make unpacking easier.
When packing a box, pour a layer of packing peanuts on the bottom for cushion. Make sure to place the heaviest items on the bottom. Once the box has been packed, use packing peanuts or crumpled packing paper to fill empty spaces and prevent contents from shifting. Make certain after you pack a box that you can still lift it easily. To reduce the chance of breakage, unpack fragile items over the box that you are taking them out of, so if you accidentally drop it, it will land on some cushion.
Remember that hazardous materials may not be shipped. These items include paint, nail polish and remover as well as cleaning and laundry products. It is best if you personally transport irreplaceable items, such as keepsake photos, financial and legal documents, medical records, jewelry and other valuables. Also, make certain that each family member has a bag packed with essential items for the first few nights. These items should be carried with you rather than packed in the moving truck. It might be a good idea to have some snacks as well as a simple meal that you can just heat and serve for when you arrive in your new home. Don’t forget to have sheets, bath towels and kitchen utensils handy.
Once everything is packed, it is important to have a strategy to load the truck. It is best to first load items that you need the least and make sure to put the heaviest items on the bottom. House plants should be loaded last and unloaded first.
Make arrangements for children and pets to spend moving day with a family member or close friend. If you can, move on a weekday, when banks and utility companies are open. Most moving companies only accept cash, certified check or money order. All charges must be paid before your shipment is unloaded at your new house.
To make the change-of-address process smoother, order preprinted address labels with your new address as soon as you know it. Send out change of address notices to family, friends, employers, schools, banks, credit cards, doctors’ offices, utility companies, etc. Keep a checklist so that you know who you have informed of your address change. Don’t forget to transfer services for your utilities. If possible, make sure that power and water are functioning properly at your new home before you arrive and leave them on at your old address for a few days so you can do any necessary clean-up after the move.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
TIPS FOR SAVING ENERGY
Moving into a new home is a great time to evaluate how you can conserve energy to save money and help the environment. There is a website that I would like to share with you that provides energy saving tips for lighting, heating, cooling, water and appliances as well as car. It is http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumer/tips/. I encourage you to go through the house room by room in order to determine what steps you can take to use energy more efficiently.
With gas prices so high, it is always important to reduce the amount of gas we use. The website http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/drive.shtml discusses how driving speed affects gas mileage and provides tips for getting the best gas mileage you can.
I hope that these websites prove to be useful and I look forward to being of any assistance with your real estate needs. Feel free to call me at or email me at email@example.com.
We would like to take this opportunity to express our appreciation for the exceptional job our realtor, Mr. Donald Leske has done with our recent real estate transactions. Mr. Leske has successfully helped us complete three real estate transactions in a relatively short time span beginning since November 2001. Bob and I were married in January 2002 and
timing was of the utmost importance in selling his house, my house and most importantly, purchasing our new home.
During our association with Mr. Leske, we have been impressed and pleased with his professionalism, courtesy, and attention to details and knowledge of the real estate business. We have appreciated his promptness and his flexibility while working around our busy schedules. Both Don and Sarah have treated us both like we were their most valued clients and were very accessible as they communicated and constantly updated us on our progress. Last of all, we were especially pleased with Mr. Leske’s work on Melinda’s house. It sold for greater than our asking price and Don’s superb organizational skills and attention to detail made it a painless and satisfying transaction. Mr. Leske is to be commended for a job well done, and we highly recommend him to any potential home buyer/seller.
Bob & Melinda
We would like to express our thanks and gratitude to Mr. Don Leske and his team for the successful sale of our home in Kent. We were very pleased with his services in every way. We started out by interviewing three top agents in the area.We chose Don because he clearly stood out as the best choice of options based on price and the timeframe we needed to sell. His marketing strategy was thorough and he came well prepared to our interview. He presented himself with an air of confidence and honesty with a “can do” attitude. Of course, his guarantee to sell in 45 days was a deciding factor
Besides Mr. Leske’s competence and thorough knowledge of selling real estate in the area, we like him on a personal level also. Don’s tact when dealing with sticky situations and his calm and positive nature helped to keep us assured throughout the whole process. Don always looked and acted in a professional manner. The best part of all, Don delivered on all of his commitments to us. We were completely satisfied with his accomplishments. We know that Mr. Leske got us the best price in the quickest amount of time possible. He also demonstrated the patience of a saint by assisting us through our anxiety and our non-understandings. For example, he had to explain the closing costs several times to us and he did so pleasantly and successfully without getting frustrated. Everything was first class. So thank you Don and your
team for selling our house. Please use us as a reference in the future. We also will not hesitate to recommend the Leske Team to anyone we know that is selling their home.
Diane & Noah
Thank you so much for your professional courtesy and results in the sale of my mother’s home in Puyallup. As you know,she passed away last year and the heirs were left with the task of selling the residence. As five of the six siblings were located out-of-state, I recognized immediately that a local professional realtor would be required to sell the house. I also recognized that this person would have to be of high integrity and have good work ethics in order for the transaction to occur in a reasonable amount of time. Being a real estate appraiser, I have seen many out-of-the state ownership problems with real estate sales. Your company and you specifically smoothed out all the bumps in the road to selling this home and did so in a polite courteous manner. Never once was I put off or put “on the back burner”. You answered all my
questions and concerns very responsibly. Additionally, you used the e-mail for photographs, correspondence, and information, which sped up the entire closing process. Thank you Don for a job well done.
Our Agent was right with us the whole way; he made the whole process stress free. He was very helpful to the end. If it wasn’t for Don Leske I would have never gotten my house sold and gotten the house of my dreams. Hats off to the Leske Team.
Our Agent was friendly and professional, he kept us updated every step of the way. I am so glad we listed with Don Leske instead of For Sale by Owner; he made us an additional $38,000.00.
Amber & Daniel
I am in the retail business and the Leske Team all worked together to make my selling experience a great one! They listened to my needs and did it with class and style. A++!
Mr. & Mrs. Lawrence
Don and Sarah Leske were very helpful selling our house, they were available whenever we called and if we had to leave a message, they would get back to us in a timely manner. We were very happy with their service.
Paul & Shelly
Our Agent did a wonderful job selling our home. He got full price for the home and he was always responsive to our phone calls.
Bob & Evette
The Leske Team gave professional attention to the selling process from beginning to closure. We felt overall our concerns, and suggestions were handled well and promptly.
Randall & Angela
As a military veteran and one who has worked his whole life giving to others I want to take this opportunity to thank you all for what you have given to me. This experience has been one of the best if not the best experience I have ever had working with such amazing professionals. This whole purchase has went seamless and smooth and I have had so much support from all of you that I didn’t have a chance to even think this wouldn’t be possible. Thank you so much for making the dreams of my first home come true. This has truly been a pleasant and non stressful event from day one. All of you realized the frustration in my voice or emails and absolutely made sure to take that worry and frustration off of me and make it your own. Thank you for helping me to wake up in MY HOME this morning. I truly wish all of you the best in both your personal and professional lives. For what you have given me I can never repay but I will be there if you should need anything both professionally and personally. Thank you once again.
Jim Steele Baydo Chevrolet SGT, U.S. Army (ret) Proud home owner
Our agent was very knowlegeable with all aspects of her field. Any questions or concerns were answered immediately,which gave us confidence in our decisions. Most importantly we were kept in the loop of things, and returned calls/ emails were answered in a timely fashion. The whole team was very helpful, and professional. I would highly recommend our agent Sarah Leske and Leske Realty for those who are looking to buy or sell a home. I know it’s people say this a lot, but we were really treated like family.
Gene & Kea Anderson
We were treated very well! Our agent listened to our needs and was great at guiding us since we had never sold a house before! He was very friendly & professional. He kept us updated every step of the way. We are so glad we used Leske Realty instead of FSBO because they made is an additional $38,000.00!! We will definitley refer our friends and family to Leske Realty
Thanks so much Team!
Amber Hedges & Daniel Dunham
“We wanted our first home to be a dream come true. We tried several real estate agencies and have never felt that our needs were being listened to. When going to the Leske Team, we instantly felt at home and had an instant relationship with our agent. He was genuine to our thoughts and was very honest about the floor plans and areas we had looked at.
This was much appreciated and allowed us to find the home that fit our needs, fit our desired area, and above all…we had no regrets in purchasing as our first home. From the bottom of our hearts, thank you Leske Team.”
Brian & Chrystal
Everyone we worked with on the Leske Team was knowledgeable and helpful. They made what can be a stressful experience, easy to deal with. We would highly recommend them to friends and family!
Terry & Stephanie
The Leske Team made us feel like real people. When our agent was out of town he let us know who to be in touch with and when there was a question, they were more than willing to help.
Tim & Laura
Our Agent showed us a home we knew we wanted to be our new home, even though it was after hours, he called and left the listing agent a message. By 2:00 pm the next day our offer was accepted. We accredit this to the diligence on the part of the Leske Team. You guys are great, if we ever decide to sell, we are calling you. Thank you so very much.”
The Jones Family
The Leske Team was a pleasure to work with. This was my first home and Don shared in my excitement, he worked very hard to find a home that I would be happy with. He was always available for questions and always returned my phone calls and emails promptly. Don was always in my corner, making sure that things proceeded in a way that was always to
my advantage. I trusted him, and would recommend Don to anyone shopping for a home. He defines good customer service and makes providing it look easy
My agent did not push me into a purchase, we spent a long time looking and he was very helpful.
Our Agent was wonderful, and I would recommend the Leske Team to anyone and everyone I know. I was referred to them by a co-worker, when the realtor that I was working with (from another company) wasn’t working out. Now I pass out the Don’s phone number like he is family
The Lopez Family
Our expectations were exceeded! Don was very aware of what we wanted in a home. Great to work with and guides you through the entire process.
Rob & Deb bought a home in Puyallup
The Leske Team is outstanding, all of our needs were met, our questions answered and our concerns put to rest. When it comes time to buy our next home, the Leske Team are the ONLY people we will be talking to.
Ted & Angela
This is my first house, this so-called Leske Team made buying it the easiest and hassle-free decision that I have ever made. How I wish every decision and life was this painless.
Don was wonderful to work with. As first time home buyers she explained he explained the entire process to us and let us know what to expect. He did an outstanding job in helping us resolve an issue with the prior owners in regards to junk that they had left behind.
Ray & Curtis
The Leske Team did a very good job of helping us find a home. Don was friendly and went out of his way to get us answers on the home we did buy.
We were very impressed with the Leske Team, they were helpful, informative and to the point. They asked us what we were looking for and he delivered just that. We would refer Don Leske to family and friends in a second.
Harry & Brenda
The Leske Team is like the “A” Team that does the mission impossible. We were not sure we would be able to get the home that we wanted, but the Leske Team made it possible. Thank you Leske Team!
The Kirtland Family
We wish to extend our personal thanks and appreciation for all of your work and dedication to your profession. It was at times difficult at best, but the Leske Team was there to make sure things went as best as they could. We are settled into
our new home, and I feel very comfortable to recommend the Leske Team to all my friends and family, which I have already done.
Phil & Deborah
I am a very picky buyer on a limited budget. I am an agent’s worst nightmare. The Leske Team is awesome and listened to what my wife and I were looking for and went to work finding us our home. Every home they sent us via e-mail was one that we would be interested in. We finally made an offer on a house and we got it. During the closing process, there were complications with the seller. Most agents at this point would have given up, but that is when the Leske Team went to work, they ironed out all the problems before I even knew what had happened. They are a wonder of action, and they have won my respect, and anyone doing business with the Leske Team is lucky. The Leske Team wanted what was best for us and never tried to rush a sell. I would recommend them to anyone.
Dallas & Leah
The Leske Team did an excellent job of making my home buying process very professional and stress free, it was a good feeling. Knowing that they were there looking out for my best interests and just not there for a paycheck. It was very much appreciated and I look forward to working with them again in the future.
Our Agent effectively listened to our needs and respected our position in the marketplace. Our agent aggressively pursued all aspects of the home buying process for us and was there to support us from start to finish.
Rick & Kate
Right from the beginning the Leske Team knew they would be handling a challenging case as our credit was not too good. Don knew what we wanted to pay in a house payment and helped us to reach that goal. We also got to deal with Sarah and again were knowledgeable. Thank you Leske Team for helping us to find our brand new dream home. We never believed that we could get financed for a home after we fell onto some very hard times. After hearing the Leske ad on the radio (saying they can help anyone), we called and spoke with Don.
Wow! It was great working with the Leske Team as they were very knowledgeable in all areas of finding and purchasing a home. After seeing a few houses we soon discovered that Don was very approachable and helpful without being overbearing. Don was accommodating with our crazy work hours and only missed one opportunity to show us a home, but
due to the great teamwork at the Leske Team, Sarah stepped up to the plate and showed us the home that we purchased.
The only problems that we had during buying the home, was from the seller’s realtor and Don was great at resolving every one of these issues. We look forward to dealing with you in the future!
The Carey Family